Djokovic's bid for Golden Slam alive and well after routine win
Novak Djokovic’s bid for a Golden Slam is alive and well following a routine 6-2, 6-2 win over 139th-ranked Hugo Dellien of Bolivia in the opening round of the Tokyo tennis tournament.
The top-ranked Serb is attempting to become the first man to win all four major tennis tournaments and an Olympic singles gold medal in the same year.
Steffi Graf was the only tennis player to accomplish the Golden Slam in 1988.
Djokovic’s next opponent will be 48th-ranked Jan-Lennard Struff of Germany.
Struff eliminated Thiago Monteiro of Brazil 6-3, 6-4.
- Millman survives 3-hour battle against Munar at Astana Open
- Defending champion Millman wins tough 1st-round match at Astana Open
- Wins for Djere, Skatov, Kecmanovic in Astana Open 1st round
- Davis Cup roundup: Belgium recovers from 2-0 down to beat Bolivia
- Djokovic not ready to step aside as new generation emerges