Fan arrested after attacking Rollins at WWE show
A man was arrested Monday night in Brooklyn after attacking wrestler Seth Rollins at a WWE event, a New York Police Department spokesperson confirmed to ESPN's Marc Raimondi.
Elisah Spencer, 24, tackled Rollins during the live broadcast of Monday Night Raw at Barclays Center. A brief scuffle ensued before security and WWE officials broke them up and contained the attacker.
Spencer is being charged with attempted assault and attempted violation of arts and cultural affairs (disrupting a live sporting event), according to police.
"WWE takes the safety of its performers very seriously," the company told Raimondi in a statement. "The individual who attacked Seth Rollins has been turned over to the NYPD and will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law."
Around 9:20 p.m. local time, Spencer left his seat, jumped a metal barricade, and attacked Rollins, per the NYPD. Rollins suffered swelling to his lip but refused medical attention.
WWE cameras cut away from the altercation once it was clear the attack wasn't part of the script.
Rollins, a former WWE champion, has been with the promotion since 2010. The 35-year-old is considered one of the greatest in-ring performers of his generation.
- Main Event Announced For MLW SuperFight - Wrestling Inc.
- Former WWE Writer Describes Struggles Of Working On Creative Team - Wrestling Inc.
- AEW Dynamite Viewership And Key Demo Rating Up From Last Week With Jon Moxley's Return - Wrestling Inc.
- WWE Reportedly Not Granting Mustafa Ali His Release - Wrestling Inc.
- Brody King Makes AEW In-Ring Debut On Tonight's Dynamite (Photos, Video) - Wrestling Inc.