Washington's Rivera: MRI indicates Thomas avoided ACL tear
However, Thomas will undergo further tests to confirm the diagnosis as well as verify the damage he did suffer in his knee, Rivera added.
Washington reportedly feared the tight end suffered a torn ACL and MCL in Sunday's win over the Las Vegas Raiders.
Thomas missed time with a hamstring injury earlier this year but returned to the lineup in a Week 12 win against the Seattle Seahawks.
The 30-year-old has caught 18 passes for 196 yards and three touchdowns in six appearances this season.
- Texans interview Josh McCown for head coaching vacancy
- Report: Prescott fined $25K for praising fans who threw debris at refs
- Valdes-Scantling doubtful vs. 49ers; Alexander, Bakhtiari questionable
- 49ers hopeful Bosa will be cleared to play vs. Packers
- Best bets to lead the NFL divisional round in passing, rushing, receiving yards