All-Star Matty Beniers to miss next 2 games for Kraken
SEATTLE (AP) — Seattle Kraken rookie All-Star Matty Beniers will miss the team’s final two games before the All-Star break after taking a big hit from Vancouver’s Tyler Myers earlier this week.
Seattle coach Dave Hakstol said after morning skate Friday that Beniers would not play Friday night against Calgary or Saturday against Columbus. Hakstol did not speculate on Beniers’ availability for next weekend’s All-Star Game in Florida.
The team has not specified what kind of injury Beniers sustained from the hit. He was barreled over by Myers away from the play early in the second period in Wednesday’s 6-1 victory over Vancouver. Myers was penalized for interference on the play. Beniers returned briefly for one shift later in the period but did not play in the third period.
Beniers is Seattle’s lone All-Star selection this season. He leads all rookies in goals (17) and points (36), and is fifth in total ice time for rookies.
Seattle also placed defenseman Justin Schultz on injured reserve and recalled forward Max McCormick from Coachella Valley of the AHL. Hakstol said Schultz is improving but there’s no timeline on his return.
AP NHL: https://apnews.com/hub/nhl and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, lock in 1st-round matchup vs. Maple Leafs
- Matthews back in beast mode, new union boss, and 5 other NHL items
- McDavid's season has lit up Edmonton, but a Cup remains on everyone's minds
- Novak's 4 points propel Predators to dominant win over Blues
- Flyers' Konecny returns vs. Sabres, Couturier won't play this season