Report: Tua remains in concussion protocol, will miss Pro Bowl Games
Miami Dolphins quarterback Tua Tagovailoa remains in the concussion protocol and won't participate in the Pro Bowl Games, a source told ESPN's Marcel Louis-Jacques.
Tagovailoa topped Pro Bowl fan voting and was set to replace Patrick Mahomes or Joe Burrow - who face off Sunday in the AFC title game for a spot at Super Bowl LVII on Feb. 12. The Pro Bowl Games take place Feb. 5.
Tagovailoa last entered the concussion protocol on Dec. 26 following Miami's Week 16 defeat to the Green Bay Packers. The 24-year-old - who also entered the protocol in Week 4 - missed his team's final three games of the season, including the wild-card round. He's been meeting with doctors and specialists and hasn't encountered any setbacks, reports Louis-Jacques.
The NFL and players' association conducted two investigations into how Tagovailoa's concussions were handled last year. The league ultimately altered its protocol during the season.
The league and Dolphins garnered heavy criticism for letting Tagovailoa return during Miami's Week 3 game after he hit his head on the ground and stumbled while trying to get to his feet.
Some around the NFL speculated that Tagovailoa could retire this offseason due to the series of head injuries, but his parents said the Dolphins signal-caller will be back in Miami in 2023.
"He comes back. That's their guy," Tua's father, Galu, recently said, according to Jonathan Sherman of Dolphin Nation. "They love him, we love them and what they're doing and how they are helping with his recovery and trying to get him back."
Tagovailoa completed 64.8% of his passes for 3,548 yards and 25 touchdowns against eight interceptions through 13 games in 2022. The 2020 No. 5 overall pick missed eight games over the last two seasons due to multiple injuries.