Collins beats Ruse in Palermo final for 1st WTA title
PALERMO, Italy (AP) — Top-seeded Danielle Collins won her first WTA title on Sunday, beating qualifier Elena-Gabriela Ruse 6-4, 6-2 in the Palermo Ladies Open final.
The 44th-ranked Collins was playing in her first career final while her opponent was aiming for her second title in two weeks.
The 27-year-old American lost a three-set quarterfinal to Ruse two weeks ago in Hamburg, where the Romanian went on to win as a qualifier.
Collins, who did not drop a set at the tournament, is the 14th first-time singles champion so far this WTA season.
More AP sports: https://apnews.com/hub/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports
- Millman survives 3-hour battle against Munar at Astana Open
- Defending champion Millman wins tough 1st-round match at Astana Open
- Wins for Djere, Skatov, Kecmanovic in Astana Open 1st round
- Davis Cup roundup: Belgium recovers from 2-0 down to beat Bolivia
- Djokovic not ready to step aside as new generation emerges