We live in strange times.
The League Cup's fourth round was drawn Thursday before third-round matches take place in order to "enable the EFL, clubs, and broadcasters to plan with additional clarity and certainty over a busy period of fixtures," competition organizers announced.
The third round will take place during the week commencing Sept. 21. A local wrangle between Leyton Orient and Tottenham Hotspur and the renewal of West Bromwich Albion and Brentford's rivalry from last season's Championship promotion battle highlight the fixtures.
Round 4, which will be contested during the week of Sept. 28, could see Liverpool meet Arsenal and Tottenham host Chelsea.
The full list of potential fourth-round fixtures is below:
- Lincoln City or Liverpool vs. Leicester City or Arsenal
- Millwall or Burnley vs. Manchester City or Bournemouth
- West Bromwich Albion or Brentford vs. Fulham or Sheffield Wednesday
- Fleetwood Town or Everton vs. West Ham United or Hull City
- Bristol City or Aston Villa vs. Stoke City or Gillingham
- Leyton Orient or Tottenham Hotspur vs. Chelsea or Barnsley
- Newport County or Watford vs. Morecambe or Newcastle United
- Preston North End or Brighton & Hove Albion vs. Luton Town or Manchester United