Digne hit by bottle thrown from crowd on return to Everton
LIVERPOOL, England (AP) — Lucas Digne fell to the ground and clutched his head after appearing to be hit by a bottle thrown from the crowd, seconds after setting up a goal for Aston Villa on his return to former club Everton in the Premier League on Saturday.
Digne eventually got to his feet and played on for the final moments of the first half at Goodison Park and was seen coming out for the second half.
Digne sent in the corner that was glanced into the far corner by Emi Buendia to put Villa ahead in stoppage time. Digne and his Villa teammates celebrated in front of a section of Everton fans.
Digne, a France left back, completed a move to Villa from Everton last week after falling out with manager Rafa Benitez, who has since been fired. This was his second game for Villa.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports
- Klopp: 'No doubt' Salah, Van Dijk will be fit for Champions League final
- Huddersfield 1 win away from Premier League return after beating Luton
- Advantage Tottenham as Newcastle blow up Arsenal's top-4 dreams
- Blackpool's Jake Daniels becomes UK's 1st openly gay male pro footballer since 1990
- Report: Chelsea's £4.25B takeover at risk of falling apart over sale structure