Report: Fitzpatrick to have season-ending hip surgery
Fitzpatrick sustained the injury in Week 1 and has been sidelined ever since, pushing Taylor Heinicke into the starting lineup.
Heinicke has played inconsistently in his first action as an NFL starter, but he's led the NFC East club to four straight wins to improve their record to 6-6 and put them back into the playoff hunt.
The 39-year-old Fitzpatrick signed a one-year deal with Washington this past offseason after engineering a late-career renaissance over a pair of two-year stints with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Miami Dolphins.
Fitzpatrick said in March that he'd consider retiring if he couldn't earn a starting role or at least a chance to compete for a No. 1 job.
- Texans interview Josh McCown for head coaching vacancy
- Report: Prescott fined $25K for praising fans who threw debris at refs
- Valdes-Scantling doubtful vs. 49ers; Alexander, Bakhtiari questionable
- 49ers hopeful Bosa will be cleared to play vs. Packers
- Rams-Buccaneers betting preview: Now or never in the NFC?