Potapova upsets top-seeded Kontaveit at Prague Open
PRAGUE (AP) — Anastasia Potapova upset top-seeded Anett Kontaveit 6-1, 6-1 on Friday to reach her third straight WTA semifinal.
Seventh-seeded Potapova beat Kontaveit for the first time after two losses, including last week's semifinal match at Hamburg. Potapova also reached the last four at Lausanne.
The Russian-born Potapova broke the Estonian five times as she raced to victory in just 49 minutes. She has not lost a set at the hard-court tournament so far. Potapova's next opponent is China's Qiang Wang, who prevailed over Magda Linette 7-5, 6-7 (5), 6-4.
Eighth-seeded Marie Bouzkova beat Oksana Selekhmeteva 6-3, 6-0 to advance to the semifinals where the Wimbledon quarterfinalist will play Linda Noskova in an all-Czech match.
The 17-year-old Noskova advanced to her first career WTA semifinal after her opponent, Japan’s lucky loser Nao Hibino, retired when trailing 6-3, 4-2.
More AP tennis: https://apnews.com/hub/tennis and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports
- Asian tournaments: Wang Xiyu wins 1st WTA title, Andy Murray loses in Zhuhai
- Linette, Wang through to Guangzhou Open final
- Murray wins 1st-round match at Zhuhai, Linette advances to Guangzhou semis
- Top seeds advance at Guangzhou Open; men start Asia swing
- U.S. senators push to award Billie Jean King with Congressional Gold Medal