Barcelona, Spain - April 8: The referee Istvan Kovacs with FC Barcelona players during the UEFA Champions League 2025/26 Quarter-Final First Leg match between FC Barcelona and Club Atlético de Madrid at Estadi Olimpic Lluis Companys on April 8, 2026 in Barcelona, Spain.

UEFA rejects Barca's unusual handball complaint before Atletico clash

Agence France-Presse
1 month ago
DeFodi Images / Getty

European football governing body UEFA rejected Tuesday Barcelona's complaint over a handball incident in their Champions League quarter-final first leg defeat by Atletico Madrid, hours before the second leg.

Diego Simeone's side won 2-0 at Camp Nou last week and Barca were upset by an incident where Atletico defender Marc Pubill touched the ball with his hand after it appeared a goal kick had been passed to him.

"(After the first leg) Barcelona filed a protest relating to a referee decision. On 13 April 2026, the UEFA Control Ethics and Disciplinary Body declared the protest to be inadmissible," said UEFA in a statement.

Five-time Champions League winners Barca said last week the decision not to award them a penalty was a "major error" which influenced the result and were upset referee Istvan Kovacs was not told to review the incident by the VAR team.

XRedditFacebookWhatsAppEmailSMS
MORE STORIES