Braves option Soroka 2 starts after returning from 34-month absence
The Atlanta Braves optioned right-hander Michael Soroka to Triple-A Gwinnett, the club announced Monday.
The Braves also claimed infielder Lucas Williams off waivers from the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Soroka made just two starts for the Braves this season, posting an 8.38 ERA with five strikeouts and six walks across 9 2/3 innings. The 25-year-old struggled Sunday, allowing five earned runs on seven hits over 3 2/3 innings in an outing against the Arizona Diamondbacks.
"Got to be a little better attacking right through," Soroka said following the start, according to The Associated Press. "Most of the damage was done with two outs, and that's not quite me."
Soroka missed more than two seasons while recovering from two separate tears to his Achilles tendon.
The hurler's best campaign came in 2019 when he finished runner-up to New York Mets first baseman Pete Alonso for the NL Rookie of the Year and made his first All-Star Game.
- Rangers, Astros clinch playoff berths as Mariners eliminated
- Blue Jays secure playoff spot for 3rd time in 4 years
- Raleigh calls out Mariners' front office after elimination
- D-Backs land 1st playoff berth since 2017, eliminate Reds
- Prodigy realized: All that's left for Bryce Harper is to win a World Series