Report: Cannonier-Strickland targeted for Oct. 15 Fight Night
A main-event clash between middleweights Jared Cannonier and Sean Strickland is being planned for the UFC Fight Night card Oct. 15, sources told Ariel Helwani of The MMA Hour.
Contracts for the fight have yet to be officially signed, Helwani adds.
Cannonier and Strickland are both coming off losses at UFC 276 in July. Israel Adesanya defeated the former in a middleweight title fight, while Alex Pereira beat the latter.
Prior to his defeat, Strickland owned a six-fight winning streak that dated back to October 2018. Cannonier had emerged victorious in five of six contests before running into Adesanya.
The Oct. 15 Fight Night event is set to be held at the UFC Apex in Las Vegas.
- Mayweather: McGregor rematch in works for 2023
- Former UFC champion Aldo retires from MMA
- Sandhagen finishes Song with doctor's stoppage in UFC main event
- Derrick Lewis vs. Serghei Spivac to headline Nov. 19 Fight Night event
- 'I f*cked up': Bobby Green reveals failed drug test led to UFC 276 bout cancelation against Jim Miller