Wizards' Porzingis week-to-week with ankle sprain
Porzingis sustained the injury in the third quarter of Saturday's contest against the Orlando Magic.
It's possible that Porzingis could be back in the lineup within two weeks, sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.
The Latvia native has struggled to stay healthy since the New York Knicks drafted him fourth overall in 2015. He's played no more than 72 games in a season and missed the entire 2018-19 campaign due to a torn ACL.
Porzingis has played some of his best basketball since Washington acquired him from the Dallas Mavericks at last season's trade deadline. He's averaging 22.1 points, 8.8 boards, 2.5 assists, and 1.5 blocks across 58 appearances for the Wizards.
Taj Gibson is in line to see increased minutes during Porzingis' extended absence.
Porzingis is in the fourth season of a five-year, $158.3-million contract. However, the one-time All-Star can become a free agent this summer if he declines his $36-million player option for 2023-24.
Washington currently sits 12th in the East with a 20-26 record.
- Report: Doncic day-to-day after spraining ankle, out Saturday vs. Jazz
- Knicks owner Dolan: I have no plans to sell team
- Captains LeBron, Giannis highlight 2023 All-Star Game starters
- Trends to watch: The delicate balance between interior and 3-point defense
- A radical remodel of local sports TV may come sooner than expected