Oilers turning back to Smith for Game 2
"Mike Smith is quite clear in the team’s faith in him," Woodcroft said, per The Athletic's Daniel Nugent-Bowman.
Smith was yanked from Game 1 after allowing three goals on 10 shots in just over six minutes.
Mikko Koskinen entered the contest and gave up five goals on 37 shots in a chaotic series opener that ended in a 9-6 Calgary victory.
Smith and Koskinen split starting duties throughout the regular season but he ultimately won the job down the stretch and into the playoffs. The 40-year-old was sensational in Round 1 against the Los Angeles Kings, posting a .938 save percentage in seven games.
- Report: Pens not speaking regularly with Malkin, 2 years apart in Letang talks
- Superlative awards for the 2021-22 NHL season
- The Hall of Fame's perpetual rejection of Alexander Mogilny must be rectified
- Scotiabank pauses sponsorship of Hockey Canada
- From joke to juggernaut: Avalanche's well-earned Cup completes cycle