Report: Mets, Alonso haven't had any extension talks
Contract discussions between the New York Mets and Pete Alonso appear to be frozen.
The Mets and their All-Star slugger have not had any talks about a long-term extension this offseason, a source told Newsday's Tim Healey.
Whether the team is planning to begin conversations with Alonso's camp isn't known, Healey adds.
Alonso, who celebrated his 29th birthday on Thursday, is entering his final year of arbitration. He'll be one of the top stars available in next winter's free-agent class if he can't reach a deal with the Mets. In October, he hired powerful agent Scott Boras to represent him.
Mets president of baseball operations David Stearns said during last month's GM meetings that he planned to discuss an extension with Alonso's camp. At the winter meetings this week, Stearns downplayed the possibility of a trade but wouldn't divulge details about any negotiations, or lack thereof.
"I'm not going to comment on any specific player, trade interest," Stearns said this week, per Healey. "I'll just reiterate Pete's a very good player and I expect him to be a Met on Opening Day."
"I spoke to David. We just told him we're all ears," Boras said in Nashville. "If he wanted to talk to us about anything, let us know."
Alonso's become one of baseball's premier sluggers over his five-year career with the Mets, hitting 40 homers three times, including a rookie-record 53 in 2019. The three-time All-Star owns a lifetime .251/.342/.528 slash line with 192 homers and 478 RBIs.
The Milwaukee Brewers reportedly tried to acquire Alonso before this summer's trade deadline but were rebuffed by New York.